Hey, good lookin’! Guess what I’m doing in less than two weeks…going to Declare, a conference for digital evangelists! That is to say, a fun couple of days with Christian women who do stuff on the internet. In order for conference attendees to “get to know” one another beforehand, the conference organizers have come up with a few questions for us to answer in a blog post.
So here they are.
1. If we were meeting in person, how would you introduce yourself? (job, family, career, ministry, where you live … share whatever details come to mind)
I stay at home with my two boys, Jack and Case, who are almost four and almost two. I say we stay at home but we actually do that as little as possible because we go crazy when we do. My husband, Spencer, is the best person I know and is an engineer who sells hydraulic components. Very technical. Before kids, I had my dream job of being a lobbyist here in the great state of Oklahoma. I studied communications and political science in college 67 years ago.
As my kids are getting out of the baby stage and I get a reasonable amount of sleep, I feel like I’m beginning to have real thoughts and ideas again and I look forward to finding an outlet for those.
I’m not confident in just what that will look like yet, but God is moving and I am watching and listening. I’m hoping it includes enough income to hire a babysitter because I’m the worst ever at working when I have kids with me.
2. What is your favorite thing to write and why?
Funny or otherwise emotionally-moving stories about real things that happened to real people. Which mostly means I write about myself because other people don’t usually like their business being shared for the public’s amusement the way I do.
3. What is your favorite thing to read and why? (If this question is too broad for you avid readers, what’s a favorite book or blog you’ve read lately?)
I am not going to cop out and say “the Bible,” but I really do love to read it chronologically so I can see it as one big story rather than in choppy and disjointed bits. My favorite author is John Steinbeck and I love classic literature but I can appreciate many different genres and stories.
4. If you could choose to do anything for a day, what would it be?
Lay in bed as long as I wanted, drink coffee while I spent morning time with God, hang out on the beach, eat some good food, socialize with a bunch of people, take a family photo where we are all still, smiling, looking at the camera and I’m not sweaty, lose thirty pounds, go shopping and get a massage.
5. What’s one thing you love about your blog and one thing you’d like to improve?
Here’s what I love about my blog: it’s always here when I need to share some words with a few hundred of my closest friends. I can pull out my handy dandy phone and type my heart out, click a button, and it’s out there and I feel relieved. Unburdened.
Here’s what I would change: the design and set up on the backside. I did it all myself with no understanding of WordPress and I don’t fully understand why I pay Blue Host $160 every December. Someone help me. Example: the answer to the first question is in a different font and I can’t understand why but I also don’t care enough to try very hard.
6. [Lightning Round] Would you rather …
- Read on Kindle or paperback? Paperback all day, everyday, no doubt
- Drink coffee or tea? Coffee or iced tea. Hot tea is gross to me.
- Go to a musical or a movie? Movie. Musicals are also gross to me.
- Vacation at the beach or the mountains? Beach
- Have an exciting night out or a relaxing night in? OUT. PLEASE.
- Watch sports, play sports, or no sports? I like college football. Ok State Cowboys fan!
Also, they wanted a recent pic. I’m sorry about the selfie but I haven’t trained my kids to take my pic yet.